Information on Trekking in Ecuador
The program for trekking in Ecuador starts off with a few days stay in Quito, the capital of Ecuador, at an elevation of almost 3000 m. Five days will be devoted to two day-long trekking excursions, leading us to the top of two mountains respectively 4300 and 4700 m high: with slow climbing and descending. these are perfect for acclimatization.
At the end of the first week we will move to Cayambe and climb the volcano by the same name.
At an elevation of 5790 m, the Cayambe is an inactive Ecuadorian volcano located in the Cordillera Central, a subgroup of the Andes. This beautiful peak is located approximately 70 km north-east of Quito and is the third highest mountain in Ecuador.
We will spend the night at a shelter located 1100 m below the top of the volcano. From there we will leave at night to reach the top just after dawn. After a two-day rest, we will move from there to the Chimborazo area, where we will spend two nights at base camp before climbing the peak.
The trekking in Ecuador is scheduled from Monday, October 3rd, when we arrive in Quito, to Saturday October 14th, when we return.
- day 01 – Arrival and overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 02 – Visit Quito and overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 03 – Trekking to Paosochoa mountain (4200 m) and overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 04 – Trekking to Guagua Pichincha mountain (4789 m) and overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 05 – Free day – overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 06 - Transfer to Cayambe and trekking to the lodge (4600 m), overnight at the Guachala shelter
- day 07 – Trekking and climb to the top of Cayambe (5790 m - staying at the Guachala shelter
- day 08 – Transfer to the Chimborazo area – overnight at the Carrel shelter
- day 09 – Trekking to the Chimborazo – overnight at base camp
- day 10 – Climbing the Chimborazo – overnight at base camp
- day 11 – Chimborazo and transfer – overnight at Casa Helblin B&B
- day 12 - Departure