A railroad connecting the Provinces of Belluno and Bolzano used to pass through Cortina until the beginning of the sixties. A small electric train was winding through the mountains, going through tunnels, on suspended bridges, and small stations which are still standing today.
The line was inaugurated on June 15th, 1921. The railroad was immensely popular during the 1956 Olympic Winter Games, carrying athletes, tourists, and even the president of Italy, Mr. Giovanni Gronchi. It closed to the public on May 17, 1964 due to lack of revenue, and after some serious accidents.
Today these tracks have been turned into a perfect bicycle trail: easy to handle, and with ever gentle and regular inclines through the Dolomites, along old bridges and through tunnels that have kept all their historical charm.